Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Lost

Technology is so wonderfully frustrating to me right now. I have always considered myself to be fairly savvy when it comes to learning new technology. I take the stereotypical "guy approach" to learning new programs. You know, a guy needs to put together a new bookshelf so he dives right in without using the instructions and only concedes to read them if there is a problem? Well that is me and technology.

I have yet to find a program that I couldn't just "figure out" by exploring it for a time. Granted, I know that means my knowledge of said programs is fairly limited, but as long as I am able to accomplish the task at hand, I am happy. I don't necessarily need to know all the ins and outs of the program and I don't care to know the fullest extent of its capabilities. If I ever do, I know the instruction booklet is just within reach.

That said, we recently bought a new computer, and with it all upgraded software. Not a big deal if I had the time to sit down and explore it all to figure out how to make it do what I want it to do, but I don't have the time.

My biggest frustration right now is in the new video editing software I have. I have seen enough of it to know it will be really fast and easy to use and will allow me to do quite a bit more editing with my videos than programs past. The problem is that I don't have any clue how get the videos from my camera to the computer because it is using a completely different uploading system than I am used to and it won't do what I am asking it to do.

Right now, all I want to do is upload a couple of really cute Claire videos to my computer so I can post them and I have no clue how to do it. ARGH!! All my first attempts have been feeble at best. I guess I can attribute that to the fact that I only give it a couple of minutes here or there and then have to give up to go attend to my more important job--taking care of Claire.

Speaking of which, she is now awake and ready for breakfast. I guess I could have used this time to explore the program, but I figured my time was better spent whining to all of you about it.

Later!

2 comments:

David Cox said...

hmmmmmmm, if you only knew someone who was good at video editing... I'll keep my eyes and ears open for someone. If your new computer is portable, you could possibly take it on an upcoming trip with you and hope to bump into someone who knows something about video editing. Just a thought...

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you having "the man approach" to learnign new things. You just jump right in and do it. Nothing wrong with that. Somewhat admirable actually.

I posted a new blog. Check it out. I intend to be better about that.

How are you feeling with this pregnancy?