Monday, August 8, 2011

Happenings . . . . Oh the Happenings.

I now present to you the top ten reasons my head is spinning and my left eye is starting to twitch.

10: We've moved a majority of our furniture out to our garage in preparation for our moving sale. So I get to do most of my relaxing on folding chairs or the floor.

9: My to do list compounds daily. It is growing at an alarming rate. Kind of like plucking gray hairs, when I cross one item off the list, two more spring up.

8: All this running around, crossing items off my to do list has wreaked havoc on the girls' routines. Their behaviors are showing their lack of appreciation for said havoc wreaking. As a result, I now have two girls who are very whiny, clingy, dramatic individuals. And to borrow a phrase from my good friend, Meredith, whining is my kryptonite. I am fading fast.

7: Michael left for Houston yesterday. He will be there for two weeks to start work in his new position. I totally understand his need to go, however it makes handling #8 just that much more daunting.

6: Our satellite TV is out. Fortunately we have several kids shows on our DVR that we can still access, but I cannot watch my Today show in the mornings. And I also can't watch any of my favorite mind-numbing TV trash that helps me wind down at the end of a stressful day. And since we live in such a small community, the repairman can't get out here for 2 weeks. Bah.

5: We've had almost 2 straight weeks of rain. Now I almost hate to complain about this one. I have so many friends who will be reading this one and thinking that they would give anything to be complaining about multiple days of rain. (Next thing you know, she'll be complaining about the fact that the temperatures in her town are topping out in the 60s.) But the simple fact of the matter is that my girls' temperaments change drastically when they head outside. They can be whining and complaining, crying and fussing but open the door and they become shiny, happy people in an instant. It is almost magical. I could really use a few sunny days here.

4: Our house is now on the market. No further explanation needed.

3: Our house just sold, I think. This is actually a very good thing. We had a couple come look at our house the very day it was placed on the market. The next day, they made us an offer. We've been in negotiations for the past several days so my stomach has been in knots. Happy, excited knots about the fact that we got an offer so soon. Yet crazy, nervous knots as I hope it all goes through. We are hoping that we can finalize everything tomorrow and then I can cross this off my list. (Although, I must say that I am a little nervous about crossing something this huge off my list. Who knows how many new things will crop up.)

2: While Michael is in Houston, he has been tasked with doing a little house shopping for us. We have found two homes that we love and now have to debate whether we put in an offer now (before I get to see it in person) or wait until I get there in a month and risk losing one or both of them.

And the #1 reason my head is spinning and my left eye is starting to twitch . . . .

I've decided to start potty training Sarah tomorrow. And before you ask, yes I am crazy thankyouverymuch. I have been wanting to do this for the last week or so. Every time I'm ready to start, something comes up and I have to postpone it. I actually thought I had myself all geared up and ready last Friday and then the realtor called saying they needed to show our house. However since that showing turned into a buyer, we no longer have to worry about showing the house and I am back to thinking it is time to train.

I know that being in the midst of  a move isn't the best time to take on potty training, but all I keep thinking is how this is the most normal life will be for us for quite some time. Once we get to Houston, we will be in temporary housing and will have none of our stuff. It could be months before we are all settled in a new home. So the logic here (I use the term logic VERY loosely) is that if I get her trained this week, we will have 4 more weeks to really solidify the training before we leave. Then she will be good to go once we are in the major transition of the move.

So wish me luck. I am attempting the 3-day training method. I may regret this, but I am sticking it out for the entire three days. No. Matter. What. Once the three days are over, if she is still struggling, I may decide to push it all off until later, but at least I will know I tried. I promise to post updates at the end of each day so check back often!

Now if you will excuse me, I am tired and I have a very comfy folding chair calling my name.

2 comments:

momimi said...

Can't wait to flop into a cozy folding chair and pluck out gray hairs with you...6 days an counting!

Darby said...

I LOVE that you can find the humor in everything! I really respect that about you. Love and miss you, my friend. Praying for you during this crazy time.