Monday, January 18, 2010

I'm So Good, I Even Cook For My Dog

Okay, not really.

Today has been a tad crazy for me. Both my girls are sick. Sarah started running a fever after she woke up from her afternoon nap on Sunday and it is still going strong today. Claire seems fine, but won't eat ANYTHING--very rare for her. And? Claire had her first ever episode of diarrhea. Thank heavens she is potty trained!

So both girls are incredibly clingy and in need of cuddle time. This is hard to accomplish with two at the same time. I am grateful though. I have many-a-friend right now who have very sick children who are shooting all sorts of nastiness out of the north and south ends of their person. I am sure they'd trade places with me any day so I am counting my blessings that I just have two who need to cuddle and am not running around cleaning up messes all the live long day.

Michael is working late this evening (can you blame him?) so I was faced with the task of getting two clingy girls fed, bathed and into bed. After Michael's last stint in Alaska, I came up with a system that works pretty good for me so it isn't really all that bad. I put on a TV show for Claire (mommy of the year, I know) while I bathed Sarah and got her jammied up and all tucked in. Poor pumpkin. She is really pathetic right now.

I go to check on Claire once Sarah is in snooze-ville and find that she is sitting at the table with a very expectant look on her face. Hungry perhaps? She makes a request of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I oblige, hoping that she will finally get something in her tummy.

I place said sandwich before my child and she promptly pushes it away. Not in a rude way. She actually gave it a contemplative look before pushing it away. Truthfully, I think she was as hopeful as I was that this would be the meal that would do the trick. Fail.

So we go cuddle on the couch for a bit. About 30 minutes later, she looks at me and makes another request. Scrambled eggs. Wow. Good choice baby. Nice and bland. The doctor would be proud. Again, I oblige.

One dirty skillet later, I have a table that is set with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and two scrambled eggs. Both completely rejected by my poor sick baby.

So it is off to bath time. And while we were in the tub, the dog saw her window of opportunity. That's right. She knows that I will not leave the bathroom while a child is in the tub and that is all she needed to haul her spindly little dog legs up ONTO MY TABLE and scarf down the entire PBJ and two scrambled eggs. GRRRRRR. She better hold that stuff down because I am NOT in the mood to clean up doggie excrement tonight. (not that I am EVER in the mood for that.)

And with that lovely mental image for you, I will sign-off. My pizza just arrived at the door. Yes, that is right. My pizza. I know I just wrote an entry about weight loss, but this is no night for cooking!

Ta ta!

3 comments:

Elisabeth said...

So sorry and I hope your girls get to feeling better!! All of this sickness is the PITS!!!

Pigs said...

Good grief, that's a Ginny story! I feel ya on the putting two sick kids down today. I just did it too. Hard!

(Oh, and I totally put Tyler in front of the TV while I get Parker to bed too. It's survival.)

momimi said...

I love that I can just read about this stuff now...but I remember the days of blown chunks and excrement all too well! Hang in there, Mom.