Sunday, November 8, 2009

Claire-isms

Any one else glad to see that the giant picture of fruit is no longer front and center on my blog? Every time I'd sit down and try to start a blog, that picture was mocking me saying, "Yep. I'm still here. Haven't blogged yet have you?"

Truth? I actually have been blogging the past couple of days. I've been working on this post in spurts. We had family in town for the weekend. It's always so much fun, but I found there was little time to sit down and compose a blog.

Claire had a blast with her Nana and Aunt Nikki here. And it was sure nice to have something to distract Claire from the general sense of crankiness that has become her way of life as of late. My precious first born girl has been a little hard to take this past week. I really think she must be on the cusp of a growth spurt (even though her pediatrician says that there are no such things as growth spurts. That is another post for another day.). She has been eating like a linebacker and sleeping like a hibernating bear. Seriously. The kid goes to bed by 7:30 and has been sleeping until 9:30 the next morning. And she still takes a 3 hour nap during the afternoon. This is not the norm for her so something is obviously up.

With all this sleeping you'd think she would be totally refreshed and happy during her waking hours. NEGATIVE. She is totally crank-tastic. Everything is a reason for a fit or fuss. Her empty juice cup fell on the floor the other day and she melted into sobs. I distinctly remember a moment last week when I was contemplating plucking out my eyes and shoving them into my ears so I wouldn't have to see or hear any more of the cranks.

I know it is just a phase, and we will get through it and my baby will return to her sweet little self. Until then, I am going to reflect on all her cuteness. Hopefully this will act as a patch to get me through until the phase is complete.

So here, I have a few cute little things Claire has said recently. Things that are really fun to hear come out of a 2-year-old's mouth. They really make me smile and love her even more, if that is even possible.

Cuteness #1:
At Target, Claire is walking too close and steps on the back of my shoe. She says, "Sorry, Mommy. I didn't mean to step on your shoe. Are you okay?"

Cuteness #2:
On the way to the zoo, Claire says that she wants to see monkeys, lions, kangaroos and zebras. I say, "Yes, baby. We'll see THEM ALL." Claire, looking confused says, "No mommy, I don't want to see the mall!"

And once at the zoo, Claire was absolutely intrigued by the "Bi-He-Nahs" (hienas)

Cuteness #3:
Claire's version of the alphabet song? "A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, ELMO PEE . . . "

Cuteness #4:
We were at Kohls and Claire was walking at a snail's pace as usual. I told Claire to catch up to me, but there was a lady in her way. Just as Claire was passing the lady, she says, "Excuse me!" To which the lady said, "Wow! What wonderful manners!" and promptly moved out of the way so Claire could pass by. As Claire catches up to me she declares, "I just tooted, so I said excuse me!"

Cuteness #4:
The other day Claire wasn't napping at all. She just played for almost 2 hours. I eventually gave up and went to get her. When I did, the conversation went something like this:

Mommy: "Claire, why didn't you go to sleep?"
Claire: "Because I'm still awake."
Mommy: "I know, honey. But why are you still awake?"
Claire: "Because my eyes are open!"

Cuteness #5:
After an hour of grocery shopping, I finally get the car loaded with kids and grocery bags. As we are pulling out of the parking lot, Claire says, "Mommy, I sure had fun buying with you today!"

Cuteness #6:
Nothing melts my heart more than when Claire runs up to me and climbs into my lap. Burying her head into my shoulder she says, "Mommy, I love you too!"

Ahhhhhhhh . . . . now I'm refreshed. Thanks for humoring me. I needed that reflection!

4 comments:

momimi said...

This post refreshed me too! I laughed out loud and sighed a couple of "how sweets!" The only cringe factor was the visual of my daugher with her eyeballs stuffed into her ears!

skier918 said...

haha! so cute indeed!

Misty said...

those were hilarious. LOVE the tooting and excuse me one haha!

Tammy said...

Ha ha!! I am really LOL! I LOVE those... esp. the Sleep conversation! Funny! And the "Elmo Pee" one is awesome too! So glad you shared! :)