Thursday, January 22, 2009

About Time

Blogger has really been giving me fits lately. I've been trying to get on and post, but for whatever reason, Blogger is slooooooooooow and won't load. I don't think it's my computer because every other site pops up super fast. It finally started working the other day and since then I've been too busy to blog. Sigh.

Anyway. Any of you heard of a baby being in an "OP" position for birth? This is where the baby is facing mom's tummy instead of her spine. Apparently? This isn't the easiest way to deliver a baby. Leave it to Sarah and I to travel this route. While in labor, I was having lots of back labor and knew that was a sign that the baby wasn't in the correct position so I had the nurse check. Sure enough, she was turned wrong.

When I was having Claire, we discovered that she was turned wrong too, but she corrected herself before it became a problem. This time, Sarah was too big to turn. They tried and tried, but that stubborn little girl just stood her ground. The doctor said she'd give me 45 minutes to attempt delivery before we moved to a C-section. I am glad she let me try, because as tough as it was, we were successful and I avoided surgery.

The next day, the doctor on call came into my room to check on me and the first words out of her mouth were, "You're famous, girl!" Apparently the story of Sarah's birth had more than made the rounds in the doctor's office that day. I'm just glad I didn't realize that it was such a big deal until after Sarah was born.

So now we are all home and doing well. Claire is, for the most part, oblivious to the new addition. She always points her out and says, "Claire's baby!" She'll even give unprompted kisses to her sister. But the majority of the time, she is just enjoying having Mommy and Daddy both home all week to play.

Sarah is sleeping like a champ day and night. I know that will change here in a week or so, but I am enjoying it while it lasts. Her doctor did say that for the first couple of weeks he wants us to feed her every 3 hours around the clock. That means setting my stinkin' alarm through the night to wake up for her feedings. Grrrrr. She doesn't have jaundice so I was really hoping to just let her sleep until hunger woke her at night. However, the doc says that she is too young to be able to do that just yet. Really? I didn't realize that. So now we are getting up every 3 hours until our check up on Thursday. Hopefully at that time, I'll get the green light to let her tell me when to feed at night.

I really wonder if she'd sleep through the night already. Probably not, but you wouldn't believe the stuff I have to do to get this kid to wake up for a night time feeding. Many times, the process of waking her up takes longer than the actual feeding. Sigh, again.

Well, this concludes what is probably the most random update ever. I'll try to be more focused in later entries. I really need to update you all on the TV issue. Quite a roller coaster. Maybe I'll blog about that next.

1 comment:

Pigs said...

You're such a good mommy. It's because you're a natural rule follower. Nerd. I would have let that baby SLEEP! But you're the better mommy, for sure. Go you!