Thursday, December 11, 2008

Sarah Grace Update

So I had my sonogram yesterday. I am currently 34 weeks pregnant and that means that on average, Sarah should weigh just shy of 5 pounds. When they did they sonogram, the found that she is measuring more like 6 pounds 8 ounces. What a chunker!

When Claire was born at 37 weeks, she only weighed 6 pounds 14 ounces. When my doctor realized this, she suggested that we consider inducing to deliver Sarah at 37 weeks as well. I don't really love that idea. We tend to have big babies in my family so a large baby isn't really a surprise to us. I weighed 10 pounds at birth AND was breech. My poor mom.

When we look at all the babies born on both sides of our families, we find that a small baby is still over 8 1/2 pounds. So while I don't love the idea of trying to deliver a toddler, I may have little choice about it.

While I really don't want to be induced, I also really want to avoid a C-section if at all possible. What I don't want to happen is for me to put off induction only to find out that Sarah ends up overdue and we have to induce anyway. But it's too early to worry about that. Why borrow trouble, right?

We'll see what the next few weeks bring. At least now I understand why none of my maternity clothes fit. Maybe that is the best reason of all to induce.

"Please schedule my patient for an immediate induction. It's a fashion emergency."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Taking your baby home in a 3-6 months outfit...a family tradition!

Ashley-Michelle said...

I love the flower layout! Congratulations on little Sarah, if I haven't told you that already. Claire looks so beautiful, I can't wait to meet my new little cousin. :) There's a good chance I'll be driving through Texas in June to attend a friend's wedding in Portland (close to Corpus Christi) and would love it if I could schedule a stop to see the whole brood. Let me know!

All my love,
Ash

Aims said...

Any time, Ash!!! We'd love to see you. Just give us a call.