Friday, August 1, 2008

Freshly Steamed Poopy Diapers

I don't know if I have ever professed my dislike for vegetables on this blog or not, but there you go. The few vegetables I can stomach have very little nutritional value for me and the ones I gag over are the very ones I need for a healthy lifestyle. For example, I love canned green beans, corn, fried okra and potatoes (made anyway you can think). I absolutely gag over spinach, squash, zucchini, asparagus, broccoli, etc, etc, etc.

That said, I am doing my best to push through my dislike and have at least one of these veggies at every dinner. I am doing this for a couple of reasons. The first being for the health of Michael, Claire and my unborn child who is currently gestating and, I am quite sure, in serious need of valuable nutrients. The second reason is that I don't want my children to grow up hating veggies the way I do. Although I can't say that exposure to veggies will cause Claire and her sibling to appreciate them. Goodness knows my parents tried. I was exposed to veggies on a fairly regular basis, but to no avail.

So the veggie of choice for last night's dinner was steamed broccoli. I steamed the evil greens and lovingly placed them on the table with enough butter and lemon pepper that I am sure it defeated the purpose of including them in the meal. After choking them down, I headed off for Starbucks to hang out with some friends from church for a bit. Upon my return to my lovely home I was immediately hit in the face with a stench that convinced me that Claire had had some sort of massive diaper explosion in her sleep. I was half way to the living room when it dawned on me that the smell was actually left over from the broccoli steaming process. SHUDDER!! In that moment, I remembered exactly why I resist bringing broccoli into the house.

Now in fairness, I am going to assume that the odor was amplified due to my pregnancy and the fact that I currently have the smelling ability of a hound dog, but I was still disgusted that something so good for you can create such a foul odor. One that lingers long into the evening.

Next time? I am placing the steamer on the back porch while cooking the broccoli. And don't think I won't! Let the neighbors think my dog had an accident, I don't care. It won't be in my house and that's the important thing.

Veggies--yuck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why doesn't chocolate give off a foul smell? THAT'S what I think really stinks!