Wednesday, March 5, 2008

As If I Needed Another Reason

So I really don't like wallpaper. I know there are some nice patterns now-a-days, but I still don't like it. I guess I just got wallpaper overload from the 80's and now that is all I can think of anytime I see it. When we were considering purchasing the house we currently own, one of the very few "cons" on my do-we-buy-this-house-list was that there was quite a bit of wallpaper.

And apparently? Wallpaper attracts silverfish. Shudder.

So began my renovation projects.

I first decided to tackle our breakfast nook. Mainly because it had the least amount of wallpaper. I figured I could "teach" myself how to strip wallpaper with the least amount of stress and then be fully prepared to hit the bigger areas later. So in about a week's time, we made this transformation:


Now? I am finally tackling the guest bathroom. This room has, in my opinion, the most hideous wallpaper selection imaginable. Take a look:


This is state-of-the-art, FOIL paper. The house was built in 2005, but somehow they managed to find paper that was made in the 1960s.

Tearing this paper off the walls may prove to be very therapeutic. The only problem I have is that there is no texture behind this wallpaper. NONE. When you pull off the paper, you have bare sheet rock. So, to limit how much texturing I have to do myself, I am thinking about paneling some of the walls with wainscoting. Ahhhh . . . . beautiful wainscoting.

This could take awhile to complete. Especially when you consider that I have a child who only naps in 45 minutes spurts. I'll keep you updated as the construction continues. Any handy tips are welcome!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our wallpaer was also the beautiful foil kind. if you are having trouble getting it off like we did rent a steamer from home depot, well worth the money!! They also have texture blowers to hel with the texture process!
Happy unwallpapering!!


BTW our silverfish haven't figured out that all the walpaper is gone yet. It has been almost a year and they are still feeding on something!
Kristi

Anonymous said...

I LOVE wainscoting! It'll look good in "my" bathroom!

Pigs said...

Get one of those steamer doohickeys. I'm going to bet that they didn't apply the wallpaper with the nice primer stuff that makes it peel right off either. You know, in other parts of the country? There are no textured walls. I thought that was weird and freaky when I moved here. Just a thought. :o)

And? That navy blue business is seriously stylin'. You should keep it.