Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Self Serve 101

I seriously do not like to wait. You'd think that with as much of it as I have to do, that I'd be pretty good at it by now, but sadly I am not. Doctors offices? Traffic? Grocery stores? Yeah, all places where I get plenty of practice waiting.

You can probably imagine my appreciation of the self-serve lines at the stores. The whole concept behind these lines is to provide you with the opportunity to wait less, which is exactly what I prefer.

I really pride myself on my efficiency with these self-serve lines. Swipe . . . bag, swipe . . . bag, press total, swipe card, grab reciept and items, go home. 2 minutes tops and I am out of there. I find myself wanting to look around once I am finished to see all the impressed expressions on the people surrounding me, but I digress.

There really should be a training for some people when it comes to using these lines. I had the opportunity to ponder this for quite some time the other day as I was forced to wait behind someone who was clearly in need of training. To this and all other's who struggle, I offer this short list of tips:

1) This is an express lane. Items should be limited to 10 or less. Read the sign. If you have just completed your shopping for the next two weeks, there are 8 other lines waiting to serve you.

2) When the mechanical voice behind the screen asks you if you have any coupons, they are not expecting an audible response. Pressing "YES/NO" will more than suffice. When you answer out loud, you just look silly.

3) The machine is only going to give you two language options: English or Spanish. If you speak Vietnamese, the machine is not going to speak to you in your native tounge no matter how many buttons you press. This is clearly not the line for you. Once again, there are 8 other lines that will be more than happy to scan your items for you.

I am sure that more tips will follow as I have ample opportunities to wait and ponder.

3 comments:

Pigs said...

I'm scared of those things. Last time I used one, I was at the beach and there was beer in my cart and the thing began to "speak" in a very loud voice, "ID CUSTOMER! CHECK CUSTOMER'S AGE FOR ALCOHOL PURCHASE!" It was embarrassing. I've steered clear since then.

Alexis said...

Absolutely! Not to mention people buying produce! Even if you know the code, it often says "please wait for cashier assistance."
Actually, come to think of it, the thing is always saying "please wait for cashier assistance" at random times. But then it's sort of like nevermind because it moves on to the next thing. Maybe those Self Checkout lines are set up for a hidden camera TV show. Someday we're all going to see ourselves on TV embarrassed by a silly machine. Suprise, you're on candid camera! That can be the only rational explanation for why those machines are so finicky. I mean, we can send people to the moon, so a Self Checkout machine shouldn't be that hard.
Unfortunately, I fear they have to design it for "the weakest link" so to speak. Therein lies the problem.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts exactly!