Friday, May 14, 2010

Claire's Toe **UPDATED--See bottom of post**

Hey all. Do you remember about a month ago when I posted my grocery store horror story? And do you remember the picture of Claire's toe at the end of it? You know, the smallish little bruise that resulted from her dropping a can of soup on said toe? Well here we are a month later and her toe is only getting worse. She isn't bothered by it at all, but it seems like it should have started growing out by now. Take a look:

Injury Day:

And now, a month later:

I do realize that these things take quite some time to go away. I fully expected to see a black bruise-like spot slowly working its way up and off of my little girl's toe, but I didn't expect it to look worse and just slowly take over her entire toe nail. She is not in any pain and can walk just fine so my thinking was to just leave it and let it grow out on its own.

Any advice for me out there? Do any of you have any experience with toe bruises. I, apparently, am clueless. I have e-mailed her doctor and attached these pics. So I am sure I will hear something back by the end of the day. (By the way, how cool is it that I can e-mail my child's doctor and get her opinion? Have I mentioned lately how much I love that doctor's office?!?!)


UPDATE: The doctor e-mailed me back and said that as long as it isn't causing any pain (it isn't) and she can walk on it without trouble (she can) that we are safe to just wait it out. But I am supposed to be on the watch for any redness or irritation. If that develops, then we will have to go in. I must say I am quite disturbed at the prospect of drilling into my baby's toe nail as some have suggested on the comments. Let's hope that isn't necessary because it would probably require a sedative for Mommy.

3 comments:

The White Family said...

Hi Aimee! What did the doc say?

This happened to me once when I was about 10. My dad had to use a small drill bit to drill a hole in my toe nail to help the blood drain out. Quite gross, but it helped relieve the pressure (which is why I even did anything about it). I was having a terrible time playing basketball without it hurting. Of course, if it doesn't bother her, the only thing I would be worried about is an infection. Hope this is useful!

momimi said...

Hole-drilling is all I've heard too. But again...that was only to relieve pain from the pressure. I'll be curious to hear what the doc says. Poor baby!

thechristycox said...

I smashed my toe nail last summer and it is still a mess! I finally went to the doctor twice and he was not sure so he told me to give it another 6 months and then come back if not better. Of course, I smashed it again last week and now it is rebruised and half of the nail fell off. I hope Claire's heals easier than this! Emerson, Brittany's youngest, has smashed and lost two nails but both have grown back without any problems. Good luck!