Sunday, April 11, 2010

Leader of the Pack

We started swimming lessons for Claire two weeks ago and I am SO glad we did it! The first three days were a little trying. On the first day, Claire was surprised to learn that she was going to have to put her head under water every single day. At that, she informed me that she was no longer going to take swimming lessons.

Obviously she doesn't know me as well as she should. Doesn't she know that once Mommy makes up her mind, there is no turning back? So on day two and three, the lifeguard had to peel her off of my body kicking and screaming to take her to the pool. They have a "no parents poolside" policy. I was nervous about this at first, but you get to sit in a room with two way mirrors the entire time. So you get to watch your baby, but they don't get to see you. This proved very beneficial for Claire because I think seeing me the entire time would have kept her upset. Without me there, she was forced to focus on her teacher and ended up calming down way faster. By day 4, she walked on in just like a pro and has loved it ever since.

The beginners class is called the "Guppy Class". In this class, she has learned to float on her back, swim with her head in the water (all 4 strokes worth) and dive for rings in 5 feet of water. She even took a couple of turns going down the water slide. Yesterday, her instructor picked her up and tossed her into the water face down and she immediately rolled on to her back and started to float. (which was the goal, by the way.) All this after only 2 weeks of work. She has now graduated to the Goldfish class and will continue lessons through the summer. I am hoping that this will make outings to the pool with two little ones a little less taxing on me.

Here is a little video of her leading the pack in kicking with barbells. You'll have to excuse the glare on the window. I am videoing through the two-way mirror so you get to see plenty of reflections of the other people sitting in the room with me.


Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing


What a champ!

No comments: