Friday, December 4, 2009

IT'S SNOWING!!!!! And your point is??

UPDATE: Apparently? The thrill of snow for a little one is all in the accumulation. Once the snow started to pile up and Claire could actually make snow balls, snow men and such, she was thrilled.

As Michael says, until it accumulates, it's just slow rain.

Original post below:

When we moved south, I knew that I would be in weather heaven most of the year. Granted, living in a tropical region means I have to suffer through 3 miserable months of unbearable heat every summer, but the remaining 9 months are a pretty good deal. Moderate temperatures, flip flops even in December. That is my kind of weather.

Don't get me wrong. I do like the occasional cold blast. Mix in some snow and that is even better. But I love living in an area where the cold blast is short lived and we quickly get back to the moderate temps that accommodate park going and other various outdoor activities. One thing I dislike about our weather is that my children won't likely have the fun of waking to snowy streets and school closings. Before I had Claire and was still teaching, I was shocked to find out that the majority of my 4th grade students had only seen snow on TV. Never in person. CRAZY!

Well today, we are enjoying one of those fun cold blasts. We are expecting snow accumulation. That's right folks, I said ACCUMULATION. That NEVER happens here. And boy do we have snow. Not the tiny baby flakes that you can only see against the backdrop of a tree or house. I'm talking the monster huge mega flakes that you are sure will hit the ground with a resounding thud.

So when the flakes started falling today, I was thrilled and couldn't wait to show Claire. Our conversation went something like this:

Mommy: "Claire!!! It's SNOWING outside!!! Come and see!" (scoops Claire up to allow for a better viewing angle through our glass door.)

Claire: "Snow?" (Runs to me. Happy for any excuse to be held by Mommy.)

Mommy: (pointing outside) "LOOK!! Isn't it PRETTY? It's SNOW!!!"

Claire: (Looks outside and then at me. Her expression practically blank.) "I'm hungry. I want to eat a bar please."

Sigh. I guess I never thought about the fact that she is too young for snow to be a novel thing. She has no clue that this is rare for us. She isn't old enough for the mere sight of snow to give her an extra jolt of the Christmas spirit.

I was trying to figure out whether or not to take her to pre-school today. I don't want to be out in the weather if the streets are bad, but she loves school and would actually be devastated if she were forced to stay home because of this nuisance called . . . . snow was it?

So now I sit here enjoying the snow on my own. Claire is at school and Sarah is napping. I think I'll go grab a cup of hot chocolate and sit under a blanket while gazing out the window. I need to enjoy it while it lasts. I am sure I'll be back in flip flops by Monday.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

it's snowing here, too! In Minnesota! That's one weird thing for us to have in common today!

Misty said...

i shipped my kids off to yaya's house, so I'm alone with someone else's kid for the next half hour :) haha, but at least Eric got off early!

momimi said...

NO FAIR! I love the cold weather and lots of snow...and we're only expecting the slow rain variety! (sigh)