Friday, January 2, 2009

Rambling Update

Well I guess I should start by saying "Merry Christmas" AND "Happy New Year" since both of these holidays have passed since I last posted anything. So I guess I will just do a random update on everything since I have nothing noteworthy to discuss.

Boy did Claire give me a whopper of a bug. I am still trying to recover from the sinus/ear infection that resulted from the wonderful chest cold I received. I am doing my very best to get over this before Sarah is born. Not that I have much control over it.

As soon as Claire came down with a fever I called my doctor to see if they would let me take Zicam. If you haven't heard of this stuff, it is great at keeping sickness at bay, but you have to take it early. Almost before you get symptoms. But I got a resounding "NO" from the doc so I just sat in my house absorbing the lovely germs that my precious little one was spewing forth waiting for them to take control of my body. Now? I am on 2 different antibiotics, Sudafed, Clariton AND a prescription nasal spray. Seriously, is that better for the baby than my taking Zicam to avoid this entire mess? Apparently so.

I will say that trying to deliver a baby while not being able to breathe or hear out of either ear doesn't sound like much fun. Although I will be happy if I can escape this one without suffering vertigo. I've only had one other ear infection in my life and that was while I was teaching 4th grade with Pigs in the Dallas area. I ended up with a grand case of vertigo that lasted almost a month. I spent that entire month teaching from a chair at the front of the room. Pigs can probably remember having to physically walk me from point A to point B at times. It was not fun and I really don't want to deal with that while taking care of a newborn and a toddler. So let's all keep our fingers crossed, huh?

We did go back to the doctor for another sonogram to check Sarah's size. Apparently the 34 week one was really off because she isn't as huge as they had originally thought. More like about 6 pounds 12 ounces right now. (unless this most recent one was wrong and she is about 9 pounds--shudder) But apparently all those fun little contractions I've been having are real ones because I am 2 cm dilated already. We go back on Tuesday for another of my weekly checks so we will see if the progress continues. I really like the idea of going into labor on my own and it looks like that is going to be a possibility now. Yeah!

Claire has really amazed us this past week. She has started talking like crazy. No sentences or anything, but adding nearly 5 new words to her vocabulary daily. It is so cool how it happens so suddenly. It's like for months she is the silent wolf and then out of nowhere she decides, "Sure, I'll try that talking stuff. Why not?"

Since this post is so random, I'll leave you with a random pic of Claire. It was taken while we were putting up our Christmas lights outside. She got bored of all the "fun" and decided to use the dog as a pillow. Notice the rock in her hand? Yeah, she loves to go rock hunting in the yard. Nature's little toys I guess.

4 comments:

Pigs said...

Sorry you're so sick, but the trip (no pun intended) down memory lane just cracked me up. I remember you holding my elbow like we were some old married couple teetering around the school to get to staff meetings and such.

Also? I'm sure you'll be bummed to know that Dr. Stacy let me take Zicam. You know if he let me, it was all good. :o)

Tammy said...

Very cute pic of her! I love kids and dog pictures!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are still in the land of the living! That's a great photo of Claire -- she doesn't have a care in the world. Oh, and thanks for the holiday card! Take care of yourself.

Shelia

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that she's a rock collector! I still have my souvenir rocks from all of your trips...the BEST value ever!