Monday, December 3, 2007

A Clean Debate

The other night Michael and I were getting ready for bed. In our usual fashion, we were engaged in a random debate about absolutely nothing important. It went something like this:

Me: (washing my hands) Ahhh . . . nothing like freshly cleaned hands, huh?

Michael: You wouldn't think you'd need to do that since you just finished washing Claire.

Me: Washing Claire? Don't you mean bathing Claire?

Michael: Wash? Bathe? Same thing.

Me: Yeah, but you don't bathe the dishes do you? I wouldn't bathe my car. Just because the meaning is the same, doesn't mean that you should use the words interchangeably.

Michael: You could, I suppose.

Me: I think you only bathe living things like dogs, babies or yourself. You wash non-living things like dishes and cars.

Michael: Well, you just washed your hands. I'm pretty sure those are living things.

Me: Well . . . er . . . hmmm

Michael: Don't you wash a mouth out with soap?

Me: Sigh. I suppose you're right. But I did bathe Claire.

So what's the rule here? And how is it that all of us managed to know the rule instinctively without a formal lesson on wash vs. bathe? Well, I guess not all of us know the rule, Michael still thinks I washed Claire.

10 comments:

David Cox said...

wash -
(verb)
1.to apply water or some other liquid to (something or someone) for the purpose of cleansing; cleanse by dipping, rubbing, or scrubbing in water or some other liquid.
2. to remove (dirt, stains, paint, or any matter) by or as by the action of water (usually fol. by out, off, etc.): to wash grime out of clothing.

Bathe -
–verb (used with object)
1.to immerse (all or part of the body) in water or some other liquid, for cleansing, refreshment, etc.
2.to wet; wash.
3.to moisten or suffuse with any liquid.
4.to apply water or other liquid to, with a sponge, cloth, etc.: to bathe a wound.
5.to wash over or against, as by the action of the sea, a river, etc.: incoming tides bathing the coral reef.
6.to cover or surround: a shaft of sunlight bathing the room; a morning fog bathing the city.

Bathe-
–verb (used without object)
7.to take a bath or sunbath.
8.to swim for pleasure.
9.to be covered or surrounded as if with water.

Hope this helps...

Aims said...

Nerd.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the third variation -- warshing, which uses a warsh cloth and is typically done by people from West Virginia

Anonymous said...

ok, I had an itchy trigger finger and clicked the mouse twice.

Shelia

Aims said...

Shelia, I deleted the extra one for ya. And yes, I totally forgot about "warsh". Shudder.

Anonymous said...

David's a nerd! (duck) I just think your story is funny. Mike and I have had a similar conversation. He also washes Piglet. We've settled on "giving him a bath".

Aims said...

In all fairness to my brother, we are cut from the same "nerd" cloth. I must admit, I checked the definitions myself.

(head hung in shame)

Anonymous said...

Having known you so well for so long, it does not surprise that you checked the definitions yourself. If nothing else, it was to make sure he had gotten them right. :)

Noelle

Aims said...

Sad but true, Noelle. Sad but true.

Anonymous said...

I think you all should just go SOAK your heads...ha!